[TxMt] OT: Perl Compatible Regex problem I can't solve

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 17:26:44 UTC 2005

OK, for way too many hours I have been trying to get this seemingly
simple Perl compatible regex to work out, but I just can't seem to do
it. I'm about to give up, move to a dark cave and shun computers for
life. :(

The problem:

I have a string that is looking something like this:   /a/b/c/d/
the string can be just    /a/    or it can be      /a/b/..../z/
very long.

I would like to catch all the various bits in this string [   /a/b/c/d/
   ]  as follows:
$1 =  /a/
$2 = b/
$3 = c/
$4 = d/

and so on for each added bit. The bits in between the "/" contains
mainly [alphnums].

I've tried every regex version of this that I can think of and most
don't return a damn thing, and others return the wrong things.  A few
days ago I thought I got this regex stuff, but now I'm in serious
doubt.

I know that I can workaround the problem by doing other things, but
it's become a bit of a burden on my mind. I'd like to know where I'm
going wrong 'cause I can't see it at the moment and that drives me mad.

Extremely over the top grateful for any help. :)

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -