[TxMt] RegEx Tool

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Sun Apr 3 20:26:11 UTC 2005

On 02-04-2005 20:39, Nick Hristov wrote:
> I have had an idea of building a professional reg-ex builder tool for a
> while, but I was not sure how large the user base will be.
>
> What I had in mind was a tool that will allow the user to select
> multiple bundles of text and the application would extrapolate a regular
> expression based on the selections made by the user.

You might want to reconsider starting this:
It is not trivial to extract a usable regexp from things a user selects.
There are several ways to create regexps for matches, depending on what
the user wants and it can become a real burden for the user to get clear
cases from which the tool can extract regexps.

Learning regexps is not easy, but once you grasp the concept, they become
a very powerful tool, which allows you to save lots of time...
A preview tool might be better indeed, but I would certainly not be
willing to pay $20 for something like that..

Jeroen.

--
               "We apologize for the inconvenience"
            (See "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy")