[TxMt] Funny behaviour with Desktop Manager?

Patrick Burleson pburleson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 23:28:09 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 6:21 PM, Kelvin <post at ktml.net> wrote:
> I have the same problem, but it happens with or without virtual desktop.
> It's because of the behaviour of Mac os i think. The problem is every
> time you switch to Textmate, it checks for files updates/directory
> reference. When I have a large number of files opened or I am working on
> a big project with a lot of files, it takes a while. Say I am working
> with firefox and Textmate. If I switch to Firefox before the files
> update checking in Textmate is done, first it will switch to Firefox,
> and then when the update checking is done in Textmate, Mac os somehow
> turn the focus back to Textmate and bring it to foreground. Which is
> very annoying.
>
> I think it's more like a bug in Mac os x more than a bug in Textmate?
>
> I think the workaround is not to open so many files, or WAIT till
> Textmate finishing checking for file/directory updates before switching
> to another application.
>
> Kelvin

Hmm, I'm inclinded to disagree (but only Allan could tell us for sure)
because I have several apps that do file updates when brough to focus
and I can switch away from them before they are done and they never
steal focus. The one I use most is IDEA from JetBrains, which, while
written in Java, still behaves like every other Mac app I have, which
is to bounce the dock icon when needed.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling it's something about TM that's
stealing focus back.

Patrick