[TxMt] Can't tell if file needs saving when it doesn't have a tab

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Nov 30 17:02:19 UTC 2004

On Nov 30, 2004, at 17:43, Ed Wong wrote:

> [...] This is fine except now when I edit this file, there's no way of
> showing that it needs saving.

The proxy icon in the window title bar should be dimmed. Also, the icon
in the project drawer will be dark (but this may be out of sight
though).

> [...] could you perhaps put an "*" or something beside the file name
> in the menu to indicate that a save is pending?

I do put a “•” in front of the non-selected items in the menu when they
need saving (similar to what AHIG prescribes for the Window menu).
These bullets ought to be in the margin (but I can't make Cocoa do
that) and that's the main reason why the selected item doesn't have a
bullet (since it has a check mark).

Long term though the active “tab” should always be visible, most likely
by putting the » symbol inside the last tab and make it a drop-down
menu to “swap” that tab with one from the menu (which also allows for
reordering of the non-visible tabs).

Another solution may be stacking -- I'm not fully decided on these
things yet -- but down the road there should be some changes (I don't
like having non-visible tabs myself).