[TxMt] Method/function list?

Charles Miller cmiller at pastiche.org
Mon Nov 29 22:37:41 UTC 2004

On 30/11/2004, at 6:38 AM, Paul Jongsma wrote:
> An interesting alternative to a button which shows all functions /
> classes would be
> to treat the file as a virtual directory. When a file with functions
> is selected the treeview shows
> all the definitions in the file, if one is clicked it jumps to the
> right offset in the file.

-1

Every time I've seen this done (various IDEs), it's been done badly.
Work on a file with 15-20 methods, and suddenly you can't navigate your
files. It's better (IMHO) to keep the two elements separate, either by
using a popup menu in the style of XCode and SubEthaEdit, or simply a
floating window.

In my IDE of choice, I find it _very_ efficient to be able to navigate
to any method in a file by hitting a single key chord, the first few
letters of the method name, and enter. It is therefore important to:

1) Have a keyboard accelerator to access the function list
2) Have type-ahead find within the menu

Oh. And.

Support ctags.

Or something very much like it.