[TxMt] Re: How About a Competition?

Fred B. fredb7 at starflam.com
Wed Nov 24 13:16:32 UTC 2004

On 24-nov.-04, at 04:41, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2004, at 2:20, Stuart Wheeler wrote:
>
>> What is the target audience of TextMate?
>
> Interesting question :) As of such, I had myself in mind when I wrote
> TextMate -- I expect that people who want things to be simple, even
> when it requires work to make them simple, sums up the type of person
> I think of as the ideal TextMate user.
>
> So there's no particular task I have in mind for TM and the skill set
> I expect from the user is curiosity and the ability to combine
> existing tools to solve new problems (and long term, shell programming
> + regular expressions, but this can be learned hand in hand with TM).
>
> I don't know how well this fit other editors. Personally I think most
> editors try to solve a specific task instead of offering “tools” to be
> combined. Emacs and vim being the exceptions, but these do IMHO fail
> to make the simple stuff simple, they have a very steep learning
> curve, and they just don't fit in on OS X -- so probably the target
> audience for TM is people who really wanted to use Emacs/vim if it
> wasn't for the disadvantages just mentioned.
>
> Oh, and my envisioned target audience had no printer! ;)

Hey, that's me without a printer! ;)

(Never needed the printer with TextMate, though. Sorry, the drunken guy
;)

BTW, this is my first post to the list. Hi everybody.
I registered TM a month ago. Though TM missed a few features or a bit
of maturity to completely replace BBEdit, I liked the the way it was
taking, so I wanted to support the project.
After a month of use, TM is my primary editor, I sometimes have to
switch to BBEdit, mainly to view/replace some invisible chars and for
finding/replacing stuff in huge projects, but when I do, I miss TM. ;)
I use TM mainly for Ruby, Obj-C & C, shell scripting, a bit of html and
css.

So, thanks for TM, Allan, and continue the good work.

--
Fred B.