[TxMt] Re: How About a Competition?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Nov 24 03:41:02 UTC 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 2:20, Stuart Wheeler wrote:

> What is the target audience of TextMate?

Interesting question :) As of such, I had myself in mind when I wrote
TextMate -- I expect that people who want things to be simple, even
when it requires work to make them simple, sums up the type of person I
think of as the ideal TextMate user.

So there's no particular task I have in mind for TM and the skill set I
expect from the user is curiosity and the ability to combine existing
tools to solve new problems (and long term, shell programming + regular
expressions, but this can be learned hand in hand with TM).

I don't know how well this fit other editors. Personally I think most
editors try to solve a specific task instead of offering “tools” to be
combined. Emacs and vim being the exceptions, but these do IMHO fail to
make the simple stuff simple, they have a very steep learning curve,
and they just don't fit in on OS X -- so probably the target audience
for TM is people who really wanted to use Emacs/vim if it wasn't for
the disadvantages just mentioned.

Oh, and my envisioned target audience had no printer! ;)