[TxMt] Re: How About a Competition? (was: Textmate Icon proposal)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Nov 23 20:21:17 UTC 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 20:18, Stuart Wheeler wrote:

> If people feel really strongly about having a new icon, then why not
> launch a TextMate Icon competition with something like a free license
> or some other incentive as a prize? [...]

Yes, I've considered a competition, but I fear that there wouldn't be
enough contributions, especially since the TextMate audience is
probably mostly non-graphical persons (sorry if I'm offending someone
;) ) -- so probably best to pay a professional company to make a new
icon.

Currently I'm waiting for Lars to create a v2.0 of his icon, which he
told me he wanted to do.

Of the alternative icons I've seen, I prefer the one by James Spahr,
since it has the braces to symbolize that the editor is for programming
(or structured text) -- I think this should somehow be told by the
icon.

The cartoon hand is nice and scales better than the current, but it's
not closer to Apple's icon guidelines and it lack this telling of the
editor being geared toward automation, shell-stuff, etc.

I think if a new icon were to be made, it should better follow the
Apple guidelines this time, and it should somehow hint that the editor
is a programmers editor -- also there need to be made document icons
etc. as well in the same style.