[TxMt] Italics in syntax bundles

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Tue Nov 23 13:23:04 UTC 2004

On 23-11-2004 14:10, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2004, at 10:59, Jeroen wrote:
>
>> My experience is that italics in most fixed-width fonts does not look
>> that good and is bad for readability.
>
> That's probably w/o anti-alias?

Indeed, I don't like anti-alias at all, because it makes all the letters
look smudgy.

>> The other thing is that the italics is mostly superfluous: the aim is
>> to differentiate text from surrounding text and most of the time, this
>> is already achieved by using a different colour and using italics as
>> well does not really help.
>
> Except for people with low color perception or color-blindness.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. But turning this on only for that small
group seems a bit odd, that is, if I'm not the only with this opinion
about text-decoration.

>> How do other users feel about this? And does anyone else have tips for
>> increasing usability of syntax highlight bundles?
>

> More contrast!!! More style-change (i.e. bold/italic/underline)!!!
>
> Personally I do have very low color perception, so for me the styles is
> the main cue, which is also why the default (Objective-)C(++) files had
> a light grey background which allowed for both black and white text :)

heh :) I'm not against more contrast, I just don't really like the way
italics looks on screen.
But using bold or underline is fine with me.

Jeroen.