[TxMt] Sorting File Contents and Selections

Stuart Wheeler "textmatelist." at mac-fu.com
Sat Nov 20 12:51:22 UTC 2004

I'm still very much a TextMate (and mailing list) newbie, so haven't
quite got my head around everything - apologies if this is already some
built-in thing I am unaware of or if this has already been covered
before. Here's something that might prove a minor challenge to my
fellow list subscribers (well it does to me).

I have a file which is essentially just a list of things. I haven't
been overly diligent in keeping things in alphabetical order and now I
want to sort the file. I know that I can use the command line and use a
UNIX sort on it. In Vim I used to invoke the ! and run it through sort,
outputting the results back into the buffer without having to leave
Vim. So, is there a way to do it within TextMate?

What if I only wanted to sort a selection and overwrite that selection
with the sorted version of the selection? What about a reverse sort?
Column selections?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Stuart