[TxMt] GUI, Bundles & Snippets Structure Revisited [LONG-ish]

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 15:17:59 UTC 2004

OK, I know this has been brought up before and that Allan is working on
new implementations for sometime in the future, but I just want to make
sure the following is considered as well.  Trying hard to be as
succinct, logical and realistic as possible here, so apologies if I'm
not.

1.	GUI ISSUES:

1a) Snippet Editor Window

Looking at the Snippet, Command & Macros Editor windows, there is
essentially three different design concepts implemented there. Of the
three I think the Command Editor is the better functioning concept,
albeit not perfect. By making the 'entry NSBox view' fixed in size it
enables the user to resize the window and thereby automatically resize
the table view (NSScrollView) making it easier to read the full Command
names and their triggers.

The main problem with the Snippet Editor window is that the table view
(NSScrollView) is not resizable. However, this could be improved
relatively quickly by:
--  implementing a NSSplitView functionality (split view resizing of
window parts)
--  or making the NSBox view (the gray background box) fixed size as it
is in Command Editor window. (Probably faster to implement)

This 'simple' change would make using the Snippet Editor much better.
For further improvement ideas in the Snippet Editor window, see point 3
below, as they are more context dependent.

1b) Project Drawer & Image files

Working mainly with web development and graphics/images, I think it
would be great if you could see the image displayed in the main editor
window, or alternatively opened by Preview rather than any other app
regardless of the Creator Code of the image file when you double-click
the filename. This should ideally be a preference option, where you can
turn it on or off.
The file formats in question are: .jpg, .png. .gif. .pdf

2.	BUNDLES MANAGEMENT:

2a) Too many syntax files available in the "Syntax Highlight as" menu

Being a bit of a 'boring' developer that only works with PHP, HMTL, CSS
& JS I find that I essentially only need my own .tmbundle that contains
all four of those languages.  I therefore want to be able to turn off
the unused bundles, or alternatively keep the unused bundles further
down in the "Syntax Hightlight as.." sub-menu. Sort of like this:

[ -> = sub-menu ]

Syntax Highlight as ->
	Syntax Status Editor   == (GUI see below)
	-- DIVIDER --
	XHTML
	PHP
	CSS
	JS
	-- DIVIDER --
	Disabled Syntax Files ->
		ASP
		<snip>
		Unix Shell...

I know that this could be partly achieved by naming my commonly used
bundles differently and renaming the others, but I shouldn't have to do
that.

2b) GUI Solution to Syntax Management:

A Snippet Editor type window where the available Syntax bundles are
listed on the left, and in the right hand side view we could display a
default bundle sample code template which is highlighted in the window,
so that we can see if we like the syntax colouring.  Below it, we would
have one button "Disable/Enable" with toggle status for
enabling/disabling each bundle.

A quick & dirty mock-up can be found here: [
http://www.imediatec.co.uk/TM/Bundle-Manager-GUI.jpg ] It should give
you a good enough idea about the whole concept.

Perhaps a .plist version could be implemented first ??

3.	SNIPPETS STRUCTURE:

3a)	Snippets Numbering:
All snippets in /<something>.tmbundle/Snippets/  are numbered as 010,
020, 030 and so on with 10 increments for each snippet.

Why increment by 10 each time ? Why not by 1 for each new snippet ?

Why use numbering at all, since the available snippet files can be
displayed according to alphabetical order and then - see points below -
could be reorganised according to the users own choice and the display
order could be stored in a .plist file ?

Why oh WHY change the snippet numbers when I have numbered them as 010,
011, 012 ?  Aarrrgh!! :(
(My idea behind numbering them that way was to create my own structured
Snippets with sub-groups with space to add new snippets in between.)

3b)	Snippets Organisation:

As I have suggested on the wiki "Feature Requests" page, the snippets
would be better if they were structured in categories, where each
category is a sub-menu item.

When I create new snippets now, I give them a pseudo category
identifier such as "PHP " or "XHTML " and then the snippet type id.
This helps me keep my snippets fairly organised, but they still stay
out of alphabetical order, mainly due to the Custom.tmbundle issue
addressed above.

However, the biggest problem with my Snippets Menu is that it is too
long for my screen (1600x1200) so I have to scroll the menu in order to
get the bottom values. Moving to sub-menu categories would improve this
drastically.

Making the table view in the Snippet Editor GUI into an NSOutlineView
(as partly implemented in the Project Drawer) where we could have these
sub-groups, toggle the view of their content and so on.

3c)	New Snippets Save location:

When you create a new snippet it is stored into
/App..Support/TM/Bundles/Custom.tmbundle/Snippets/ which are
prioritised over the active bundle's snippets. My issues with this
structure are:

-- I want to choose where I want my new snippet to be stored, as it
most likely will be in relation to the current .tmbundle that's being
used, and I find it better - in my mind - to add language related
snippets in the language bundle they belong to.
  -- In the Snippets Menu, I would want my active .tmBundle Snippets to
be top of the list, not the other way around.

The same would be applicable for Commands & Macros as well.  That way,
by saving all commands, Macros & Snippets related to the specific
language/bundle, they are not available when we disable the bundle  as
suggested in point 2 above.

In the GUI, this would work by selecting the current snippet category,
and then clicking "New Snippet" button. Sort of like this works in
Project Drawer.

3d)	Snippet Re-Ordering in Snippet Editor window listing:

What would be ideal in the Snippet Editor GUI, is the ability to drag
around snippets and re-order them that way. Newly created snippets are
always added to the bottom of each snippet group they are created
within, but can then be moved by the user to the position they would
want. (Think iTunes playlist for a good example of this)

OK, that's it for now. Hope I haven't wasted my or your time.

Kind regards,

Mats

"For those who aren't familiar with OS X, it is a full implementation
of BSD Unix with a Macintosh front end, which is to say world class
inside and out. OS X is faster, smarter, prettier, and easier to use
than any version of Windows."
by Robert X. Cringley, Feb, 2002 [ http://www.pbs.org/cringely/ ]