[TxMt] Creator codes

Stuart Wheeler "textmatelist." at mac-fu.com
Thu Nov 18 23:19:38 UTC 2004

Allan,

I am so glad you're considering this. I come from a NeXT/OpenStep
background and personally, I wish OSX didn't have creator codes at all,
but it does, so best to make the most of it. I know the whole creator
code scheme flies in the face of Apple (or rather the ex-NeXT folk at
Apple) trying to convince us all not to use them and use extensions
instead, however, so many other apps including new ones like
SubEthaEdit use them already, and TextMate not using them won't really
help the situation. Until Apple removes the ability to use creator
codes, I believe that TextMate should at least provide the option to
use them.

I speak as someone who used BBEdit for a while (and didn't really like
it), moved to SubEthaEdit and had to manually change all the creator
codes on loads of files to the SubEthaEdit ones. I then had to add .txt
extensions to all these files so that they would play nice with
TextMate.

I personally favour a combination of (3) and (4). That is, have a
global default of either on or off and then in the save panel be able
to override that default if need be. For those that don't like creator
codes, maybe the save panel should also provide the option to strip
existing ones on the file you are saving.

If you think that they should be user-configurable based on extension
then I guess that's another pane to add to your preferences. Personally
I don't have the need for it but others may.

Regards,

Stuart