[TxMt] Preventing new blank document

Michael A. Alderete lists-2003 at alderete.com
Sat Nov 13 07:47:29 UTC 2004

>> Actually, the problem is worse than just creating a new document when
>> TextMate starts up. Once running, it is creating a new blank document
>> *every time I switch to TextMate* (by clicking its icon in the Dock),
>> if there is no other document already open.
>
>Both of these are required for a well-behaved Mac application.
> [...]
>--> * Clicks the application icon in the Dock when no windows are open"

Well, what can I say. BBEdit doesn't do this, Word doesn't do this,
FileMaker doesn't do this, Preview doesn't do this. TextMate does, and it's
annoying.

It certainly makes sense for *some* applications to do this. iTunes. iCal.
System Preferences. Probably a web browser (Safari and Firefox both do it).

But it also plainly *doesn't* make sense for *every* application to do
this. And there are *lots* of examples of applications which do not. I'll
bet I could come up with 50 just going through my /Applications folder.
I'll bet I could come up with 5 other text editors for Mac OS X (BBEdit, by
preference; skEdit, by default; SubEthaEdit, by preference -- just to
start).

Anyway, FWIW, I find the current behavior irritating, and wish it would
stop. Sometimes I just want to open something, not create something new.
Having to close a blank document first is just annoying.

Michael