[TxMt] some bugs and requests for the project drawer

kumar mcmillan kmcmillan at leapfrogonline.com
Fri Nov 12 17:18:29 UTC 2004

I know you are working heavily on the project drawer and may know this,
but FYI ...

Bug: TextMate does not consistently move files (on the hard disk) as
they are moved in the project drawer.
Reproduce: Set up a project with several existing files added from a
directory, lets say ~/Sites/lib/php/report .  they are not grouped in
the project drawer, just loose.  Then, in the project drawer there is a
group called unit_tests, which exists on disk as ~/Sites/unit_tests.  I
have a file named settings.ini that is from the reports directory but
not grouped anywhere in the project drawer.  I like to alphabetize my
list of files so I can easily find them later, which means dragging the
files into place manually.  in doing so, say I accidentally move
settings.ini file into the group unit_tests.  What happens is that
TextMate physically moves settings.ini into ~/Sites/unit_tests.  Back
in the project drawer when I notice the mistake, I move it out of the
unit_tests group but TextMate does not physically move the file out of
~/Sites/unit_tests back into ~/Sites/lib/php/reports, like it should.
This confuses TextMate (and me) and when i repopen a project, the files
are back in unit_tests.

aside from that ... what about the ability to set a root directory for
the project drawer so the project drawer can be an instance of the mac
os x finder in list mode?  Maybe you could have several roots if your
project contained files scattered around the hard disk (which doesn't
seem like a typical scenario to me).

if nothing else, I would like to have the option to alphabetize the
project drawer.  This would just make dealing with large amounts of
files easier.

in any event the project drawer is still very useful in its current
state.

thanks, Kumar