[TxMt] 'undoing' for days [gripe]

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Nov 4 21:47:37 UTC 2004

On 4. Nov 2004, at 22:04, Chris Thomas wrote:

> What do you get with char-by-char undo that you don't already have
> with the delete key?

I have lost intermediate edits with the chunk undo, and the
char-by-char is always predictable to me, chunk undo isn't (although if
I code it myself, it'll probably be more transparent to me at least ;)
).  Also, I generally tend to only undo a few edits, not a chunk, you
say I can use the delete key, but I undo many other actions than just
typing letters -- hitting cmd-z is just undo what I just did (be it
toggle the case of a letter, deleting a letter, changing indent etc.),
with chunk-undo this only works half the time.

> I suspect that chunk-based undo as default would make a far better
> first impression, given that it's the way everything else does it.

Based on the comments I've read, this seems to be a true assessment.
But it'll have to wait some more, I have like 60 things to “change”
before 1.1, and this isn't what I consider the most serious flaw ATM ;)

Kind regards Allan