[TxMt] XML support?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Nov 3 12:29:10 UTC 2004

On 3. Nov 2004, at 13:02, David Casal wrote:

> Ok so two last questions...do you expect that when you add recursion
> support, people will be able to use say (oh please) a bundle editor to
> do things like 'don't let me close parent tags against that namespace
> unless their child tags are closed'  ?

If you by “don't let me close” means something like “make the
background of a misplaced close tag red” then yes, that'll be easy.

you insert </bar> in front of it.

> And, are the TD team

For the records, it's TM and I'm the only programmer ;)

> expecting that things like XML support and other bundles are always
> going to be up to users to craft? Meaning, will you never yourselves
> develop bundles?

I don't think I'm the best person to do bundles for languages I don't
know/use. And currently I also think my time “programming” is best
spent on actual TextMate development, since I'm currently the only
person with access to that source ;)

Long term, I may help out if there's an area which needs attention, but
TM is less than a month old, and already there are quite a large number
of user submissions, even w/o a GUI editor for the syntax files -- so I
don't think it'll be a problem with neglected languages, and when TM
gets an in-app editor for the syntax files, I think it'll be much less
intimidating to roll your own syntax for whatever you're working on.
E.g. doing quick ad hock syntax highlighting for your GTD lists or
similar ;)