[TxMt] tabs

Ryan Schmidt textmate-2004 at ryandesign.com
Wed Dec 29 00:15:08 UTC 2004

On 27.12.2004, at 21:05, Patrick Kelly wrote:

> I'd like to be able to set my "indentation level" to 4 and leave the
> tab stops at 8.  That is, if I hit my tab key the cursor should move
> as if my tabs stops are set at 4 (any any spaces required should be
> added).  If there are any actual tab characters in the file, the file
> should display as if I had selected 8 as my tab size.  (Basically this
> is because I edit files that other people have edited using emacs
> which "intelligently" uses tabs where it can to fill in sequences of 8
> spaces.)

One uses tabs *or* spaces to indent, not some mixture of the two --
that's madness. People speak so highly of emacs; it can't possibly
force this behavior. It must be possible to tell it not to do that. And
I don't see any need for TextMate to provide workarounds for other
people's broken editor configurations. Adding a feature to TextMate to
deal with this lunacy just makes for more-confusing preferences and
application bloat for I would hope the majority of users whose
coworkers have their editors set up reasonably.