[TxMt] Ruby (Un)Comment command

William D. Neumann wneumann at cs.unm.edu
Wed Dec 22 19:15:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Chris Thomas wrote:

> If Ruby 1.8 isn't installed in /usr/bin, you'll need to specify the full path
> to it. Ruby's default install location is /usr/local, so I'd guess that you
> need:
>
> /usr/local/bin/ruby -s ...

OK, that fixed the first problem... The ruby in /usr/bin was v1.6.8, and
TextMate was using that version instead of the 1.8.1 installed via
Fink.  However, now that I'm using  the correct version, I'm having new,
exciting issues...

/Users/wneuman/Library/Dev/TextMate/comment.rb:23:
invalid regular expression; there's no previous pattern, to which '*'
would define cardinality at 6: /^\s*(*(.*)*)/ (RegexpError)

Im guessing that this problem is stemming from the OCaml comment
delimiters being "(*" and "*)", which seem to be messing up the regexp
created in line 24 of the script.  I'm guessing that they're not being
escaped when comment_expr is created, however, escaping them up when
they're defined in line 16 (either manually or via Regexp.escape) wraps
the block with escaped delimiters "\(\*" and "\*\)" -- this also breaks
uncommenting.

Any Ruby speakers have a fix for this?

William D. Neumann

---

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

  Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)