[TxMt] Ruby (Un)Comment command

William D. Neumann wneumann at cs.unm.edu
Wed Dec 22 19:15:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Chris Thomas wrote:

> If Ruby 1.8 isn't installed in /usr/bin, you'll need to specify the full path
> to it. Ruby's default install location is /usr/local, so I'd guess that you
> need:
> /usr/local/bin/ruby -s ...

OK, that fixed the first problem... The ruby in /usr/bin was v1.6.8, and
TextMate was using that version instead of the 1.8.1 installed via
Fink.  However, now that I'm using  the correct version, I'm having new,
exciting issues...

invalid regular expression; there's no previous pattern, to which '*'
would define cardinality at 6: /^\s*(*(.*)*)/ (RegexpError)

Im guessing that this problem is stemming from the OCaml comment
delimiters being "(*" and "*)", which seem to be messing up the regexp
created in line 24 of the script.  I'm guessing that they're not being
escaped when comment_expr is created, however, escaping them up when
they're defined in line 16 (either manually or via Regexp.escape) wraps
the block with escaped delimiters "\(\*" and "\*\)" -- this also breaks

Any Ruby speakers have a fix for this?

William D. Neumann

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

  Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)