[TxMt] Yummy FTP

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Dec 20 21:29:11 UTC 2004

In article <20041219074925.GL15006 at server.onjapan.net>,
 Jim Tittsler <jwt at OnJapan.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:13:08AM -0800, Chris Schwan wrote:
> > Yeah fugu is the bomb. Trouble is, I have a couple people who still use
> > standard ftp. Does Fugu do straight FTP?
>
> Not yet, but it is planned for a future version.
>   <http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/roadmap.html>
>
> But seriously, encourage people to move to the current century
> and use SFTP.  :-)

I regretfully disagree. sftp does not support a text mode, making life
miserable if you are going between platforms. Actually, the modern sftp
standard *does* include a text mode, but few sftp clients and servers
support it. Very annoying for what should be the obvious replacement for
ftp.

Personally, I use ftp over an ssh tunnel. At worst, it takes a quick
command in terminal to set up the tunnel, then use any ftp client. And
some ftp clients will set up the tunnel for you.

-- Russell