[TxMt] editing textareas?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Dec 14 20:05:03 UTC 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 20:54, Patrick Kelly wrote:

> Often I'm editing text in a textarea on a web page, and I'd like to
> edit it in my Favorite Real Editor.  Of course I can select all, copy,
> go to editor, open new, paste, edit, select all, copy, find browser
> window, select all in the textarea, paste.

There's a service which simplifies it a little:
http://macromates.com/textmate/files/TextMate.service.zip

Info here:
http://one.textdrive.com/pipermail/textmate/2004-November/001260.html

You still need to select all and then invoke the service, but you save
the manual cut'n'paste stuff and opening the editor.

> A specialized hack might be to have the txmt: protocol thing
> integrated so that the editor could fetch text via HTTP and know where
> to POST the text upon completion of the edit.  This may be a complete
> waste of development effort since webdav is the right and proper
> solution here.

It'd still be a lot easier with the txmt://-scheme. Though the web-page
would need to support it, so maybe one should choose another name for
the protocol ;)

This could actually be made as a generic tool that sits between the URL
request and the editor (using the existing ODB Editor Suite).