[TxMt] Bug report: Trouble with Input Method

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sat Dec 11 05:30:20 UTC 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 16:36, Kazuo Saito wrote:

> Main editor window cannot handle inputs from input method properly.

Yes, I do have a pending bug on this one. The problem is that TextMate
currently doesn't “preview” the text being edited (given to it by the
system), and that's why you don't see anything before you change line,
switch to another input mode or similar (which makes the system commit
the edit).

I can't give an ETA on when this will be fixed, but I can imagine it's
frustrating for those who rely on these input methods, so I'll try not
to have “the fix” pending for too long.

> PS:
> Are there any plan to add localizations? I'm translating .nib files
> into Japanese actually.

Currently not -- localization is quite a lot of extra work, especially
with a program that evolves as fast as TextMate (each change in the GUI
requires all localizations to be synchronized, which is a lot of manual
mouse work if taking the Nib-route), and I'm under the impression that
the majority of TextMate users are running their applications in
English (but I'm only guessing here).

So I'm thinking localization is something I'll support for v1.3 or
similar as the final touch ;)