[TxMt] Three requests

otheraccount at verizon.net otheraccount at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 03:06:03 UTC 2004

On Dec 9, 2004, at 9:09 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> Doh... that's the new feature about macros having their own local
> clipboard :( Then I'm afraid there's no real substitute.

Hm... But couldn't the selected text, rather than being cut and placed
in the clipboard, just be instead sent to a file? Something like this,
say:

	cat >"/tmp/fakekillbuffer"

You'd have to select 'selected text' as the input and 'replace select
text' as the output. (If you want to be appending to the kill buffer
rather than having it act like cut-and-paste, you could just append to
the file using >>.) And of course the counterpart of yank would just
be:

	cat "/tmp/fakekillbuffer"

...with input and output set as before... Clearly, this doesn't yet
approximate kill and yank---for one thing, you'd still need to put the
kill thing in a macro so that it automatically selects to the end of a
line---but doesn't it get you part of the way there, or at least
overcome this wiping-out-the-clipboard issue?

I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious? Am I a little too enamored
of what TM lets you do with shell tools?