[TxMt Plugins] Re: tracking the filename of the currently selected tab

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 29 09:42:56 UTC 2010

>> I would like to write a TextMate plugin which creates a window containing a txt2tags [1] rendered version of the file I am currently editing. (Actually a somewhat modified version of txt2tags)
>
> I assume you are aware of the WebPreview and its ability to have a command configured that filters the currnet text!?!

Yes, it doesn't quite do what I want... but thanks to both of you for pointing it out.  In particular, WebPreview doesn't track the current file, as far as I know.  I would also prefer it if the preview window were not separate but rather integrated into the Project editing window, probably with a slider to adjust the real estate used for editing / viewing the transformed version.

>> As I navigate through different files, I'd like this window to update to reflect the current file.
>>
>> I feel like there is probably a fairly simple way for me to observe the file currently being actively edited, but after spending some time browsing through the methods and fields of OakTextView, OakTabBarView, etc, I haven't found out what it is.
>>
>> Any advice?  Pointers to similar projects?
>
> If you want this to (potentially) also work for 2.0 then you should monitor the NSWindow’s representedFile property. This can be done via bindings or method swizzling.

Great, that's exactly what I was looking for!

thanks,
Niko