[txmt-dev] Re: Implementing inline marks

Sat Aug 30 06:22:53 UTC 2014

On 20 Aug 2014, at 10:08, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

>> […] merging the two fields with a colon, so you could set a mark
>> like: “error:unknown identifier” […]
>>
>> Would that be sufficient?
>
> I would actually need a std::vector to support multiple marks (error
> messages) per line. It's not completely uncommon for a compiler or
> lint tool to find several issues on a single line.

I’m not too fond of this because I don’t see a big need for multiple
marks for the same position, and by going with position → (string,
vector of strings) we tax everything with a more complex data type,
rather than tax the special case (which could store multiple messages
for the same position using a delimiter like the ASCII record or unit
seperator).

Marks can be set for a certain column on a line, so if we have messages
for different columns in the same line, we can already store that with
the simple position → string data type.