[txmt-dev] Re: Not relaunch TM after a build

Sun Apr 13 22:15:51 UTC 2014

On 13 Apr 2014, at 17:10, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> In my opinion, if you need to code in a particular style to do code
> analyze the tools are not good enough.

I have conventions about how to format my code because it makes it
easier to read. Allowing to work with the code using simple text
utilities is a bonus.

And making a tool (based on a language parser) that can answer the
“questions” I have about my source code is infeasible, yet search
works amazingly well, and can be applied to revision history as well,
say I want to ask things like, “was this function ever called outside
module X”? For me, asking where a thing is defined or called from is a
subset of what I ask, hence why I never felt the need for a dedicated
tool to answer that single question, as it would come with a different
workflows, and while I may start by asking “where is this called”, I
may extend it to “where is it called with ‘true’ as second
argument” or similiar.

I’d also like to point out that a lot of things rely on naming or
formatting conventions without people calling it a tooling failure
(often the opposite). Take something like ARC, it relies on Cocoa
methods starting with ‘init’ or ‘new’ to return retained
objects.

>> I’m flabbergasted that you would refer to that as a big hack.
> Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit :)

I think you missed the point of what I wrote.

> I really don't want to argue about this. You're happy with using
> TextMate, I'm happy with using TextMate and Xcode.

I would be happy to learn about better workflows, that is why I asked
you why you felt Xcode was better for working with the TextMate source
code (as a non-Xcode user myself).