[txmt-dev] Re: Setting the background color of a specific line

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Tue Apr 1 14:53:21 UTC 2014

I think a better approach for that would be if you could inject scopes into the document (like set error scope on line 54, char 12). Then you can use styles as usual to highlight the errors. Obviously it would also be necessary to be able to attach metadata to those warning/error scopes.

Build systems are easiest ran in a script. So to get fast adoption of such a feature, custom build scripts would need to be able to communicate with TextMate. Maybe extend the txmt URL scheme? Like

Start a build (resets previous build scopes)
	txmt://build/?type=init

Add a warning (adds a build scope, errors would work similar)
	txmt://build/?type=warning&url=file:///Users/me/Projects/MyProject/MySourceFile.m&line=54&char=12&text=Method+not+found

End a build (Display some feedback in the UI)
	txmt://build/?type=done&text=2+Errors++3+Warnings

For extra credit add fixit support (like provided by clang).

I currently use an external build & run tool that does at least provide links back into TextMate:

	https://github.com/gknops/xcode4.tmbundle

But a tighter integration into TextMate would be nice.

Gerd