[txmt-dev] Re: Quick Look generator for files with a public.source-code

Paulo Moura pmoura at logtalk.org
Mon Aug 5 14:24:28 UTC 2013

Hi Jacob,

On 02/08/2013, at 13:00, textmate-dev-request at lists.macromates.com wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:17:13 -0700
> From: Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes at gmail.com>
> To: TextMate developers <textmate-dev at lists.macromates.com>
> Subject: [txmt-dev] Re: Quick Look generator for files with a
> 	public.source-code UTI
>
> Yes, we are working on a list of UTIs that TextMate will declare as
> "imported" (meaning, it is not responsible for them, but it believes they
> should exist). This will allow the system to use the Quick Look generator
> for a wider range of source files.

That's great news :-) Right now I'm hacking a QuickLook plug-in, adding:

	<dict>
		<key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
		<array>
			<string>public.source-code</string>
		</array>
		<key>UTTypeDescription</key>
		<string>Logtalk Source Code</string>
		<key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
		<string>org.logtalk</string>
		<key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
		<dict>
			<key>public.filename-extension</key>
			<array>
				<string>lgt</string>
				<string>logtalk</string>
			</array>
		</dict>
	</dict>

This adds the necessary public.source-code UTI (in this case for Logtalk source files) which then allows TextMate to take over and provide QuickLook services, thanks to your work. But I look forward to get the same functionality without any hack required. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Paulo

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Paulo Moura <pmoura at logtalk.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed the following item in the release notes of version
>> 2.0-alpha.9455:
>>
>>        Add Quick Look generator for file types conforming to
>> public.source-code. (Jacob Bandes-Storch)
>>
>> This is a quite welcome feature but there's a problem: TextMate supports
>> (through bundles) a large number of programming languages whose files that
>> MacOS X doesn't recognize as source code in the default Apple provided UTI
>> list. Some of these languages don't have an associated application (other
>> than a command-line compiler or interpreter). Thus, the only way to add a
>> UTI for them seems to be to either hijack some application Info.plist file
>> or to create a dummy application. I'm wondering if TextMate could be o help
>> here, maybe by using the information provided (or to be provided) in the
>> language bundles.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Paulo

Paulo Moura