[txmt-dev] Re: Git outputs filled with <NUL>

Wed Sep 26 12:48:31 UTC 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 4:03 PM, Fred B <fredb7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [ HTML output ]
> […] it would be nice to choose the location in the command […]

You think this should be decided by the command author?

Or you mean, be an option per command? Probably with [ default, split, window ] and user can then set a global default but also change it on a per command basis.

> - I use a web theme with a much slimmer bar (I made a dark version of scott (https://github.com/wafflesnatcha/scott.textmate)).

Neat! I converted this output theme to a bundle:

    https://github.com/wafflesnatcha/scott.textmate/pull/1

> - I added theme support for most git commands, but I'm not sure my code is up to the standard of this bundle or if anyone else is interested. It's quite easy to do and it works. I'll put it on github when it's done.

Sounds good!

> […] Changing `@output_buffer.truncate(0)` with `@output_buffer = StringIO.new` seems to work, but I'm not sure there is any downside […]

To me, StringIO#truncate looks buggy:

    require "stringio"
    @output_buffer = StringIO.new

    @output_buffer << "ABC"
    @output_buffer.string # => "ABC"

    @output_buffer.truncate(0)
    @output_buffer.string # => ""

    @output_buffer << "XYZ"
    @output_buffer.string # => "\000\000\000XYZ"

>> Though is it actually causing any problems (other than view source)?
> It just slows things down a bit, e.g. noticeable with a huge log limit.

Based on the above test, it would seem it outputs as many zeros as the max length of bytes that has been added to the string buffer, at least doubling the output size.