[txmt-dev] Re: .tm_tmp as project-specific semi-permanent directory?

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Thu Sep 6 17:58:32 UTC 2012

> On Aug 30, 2012, at 7:58 PM, Gerd Knops <gerti-textmate at bitart.com> wrote:
>
>> […] That also might open the door to something that I have been mulling over for a while: storing a per-file index of pertinent information gleaned from the various scopes […]
>
> So what sort of info do we wish to store? I see a few different things:
>
> 1. project settings, shared with all users → scm.
> 2. session info for the project (might contain unsaved changes).
> 3. cache for ⌘T, ⇧⌘F, document scopes
> 4. named sockets for project persistent servers?
>
> I am leaning toward this mapping:
>
> 1. .textmate_config ⇔ .textmaterc ⇔ .tm_properties
> 2. .cache/textmate/session/
> 3. .cache/textmate/cache/
> 4. .cache/textmate/run/
>
> So basically a `.cache` folder in the project, and everyone could use this and we can do with a single name (for a prettier file listing when showing hidden items).

Sounds good to me. Current use case that brought this up was project-specific scratches. So they'd go into .cache/Scratch/.

> Only minor issue I have with that is that we are sort of labeling the session info as “cache” even though the user shouldn’t delete it.

Good point. Ideally the user should not mess with .cache while the project is open. But as long as that is handled somewhat gracefully (eg not crashing) I think it would be OK.

Gerd