[txmt-dev] Re: building textmate on 10.6.8 ... only have clang 1.7/3.0 installed

Sun Sep 2 13:49:46 UTC 2012

On Aug 31, 2012, at 9:36 PM, Adam Strzelecki <ono at java.pl> wrote:

> FYI latest changed to 64-bit & libc++ made backporting TM2 to 10.6 bit more complicated. But still managed to get it done: https://github.com/nanoant/textmate/tree/10.6

I’m impressed by your stubbornness :)

> I've also pushed some binaries build by myself at:
> https://github.com/nanoant/textmate/downloads
>
> Allan, hope you don't mind me posting binaries for 10.6.

I’m OK with this but we need a way to figure out how to deal with the build number and/or tag the version string.

If we do this, I can have 10.6 users auto-update to your builds, there still is a few still using r9147 on 10.6.

As for how to deal with the build number, I don’t have any experience dealing with “variants” of the same product; I designed everything around there always being a unique increasing number.

I am sort of thinking I should reserve the lower “bits” of the variant for variant (built from git, 10.6, 32 bit, MacPorts, …). Input welcomed.

Build number is (sort of) only relevant for software update checks and crash reporting (matching crashes to the correct version).

> I think soon updating TM2 10.6 branch will be getting more and more steep once TM2 will use ARC completely, new ObjC literals.

I assume constraint-based layout will also pose a problem. This is something I am particularly keen on switching to since it will solve the localization issues (only one base nib with per-language replacement strings). There seems to be big demand for Chinese and Japanese translations (and I really hate seeing people translate all the nibs only to have me edit the english versions or introduce new ones).

> There are couple of problems:
> (1) libc++ isn't bundled with SL, so I had to change its install_name and bundle it within .app
> (2) libarclite_macosx.a isn't available at all on SL (neither open sourced), it comes only with (Mt)Lion, so yes you can target ARC on 10.6, but only compiling on 10.7 or 10.8 :/

So in practice it is still possible to make 10.6 builds using ARC and Objective-C subscript accessors, just need 10.7+ to build these?