[txmt-dev] Click on file one by one in file browser should preview content in one *same" temporary window.

jason chen janckerchen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 13:54:48 UTC 2012

== @janckerchen  opened this issue==

Nothing happen at present when I click on file name(not icon) one by one in file browser.

I think

	• why I click the file name one by one? just for quick-view.
	• why not open each file by click? open too many file just for preview is nightmare for crowded tabs.
so we need a compromise proposal, quick-view and not real-open.

I try to find out how the other editors solve the problem.

	• there is a temporary window without tab for preview, no active tab in tab bar at same time.
	• If I active any tab, temporary window disappear.
	• if I double click on the filename, the file real opened and the tab added to tab bar.

==@sanssecours commented19 hours ago==

For the purpose of taking a quick peak at a file you might want to use 'QuickLook'. Just select a file in the file browser and press Space. This should open a temporary window showing you the content of the selected file.

Other than that, you can also single click on the icon of file which will open the file immediately. This action however will also create a new tab.

==@ janckerchen commented 18 hours ago==

@sanssecours, I tried and suffered frustration.

	• click a file, hit space, preview popped, it's not bad so far.
	• move cursor up and down over files in file browser, I expect preview change as in finder, but no, because file browser has lost focus.
	• I grab back my mouse and focus on file browser, (preview still there), move cursor up and down, nothing happen.
	• alright, I grab back my mouse again and click next file, I expect preview will update, but no, nothing happen.
	• hit space, nothing happen
I can find a way in the end, but not smooth at all. If step2 can success in future, QuickLook way is acceptable.

Another drawback is QuickLook doesn't work with some file type, such as Makefile, *.cmak, they are all simple text file.

== @sanssecours commented17 hours ago==

@janckerchen I did not say it is a perfect solution ☺

It works a little bit better if you use the keyboard:

	• Select a file
	• Hit Space → File Preview
	• Press Space again and select the next file via the cursor keys (↑, ↓) — Continue with step 2. to get a preview of the file

==@ infininight commented11 minutes ago==

Discussions on behavior like this are best brought up on the tm-dev mailing list where they can be discussed, leaving the issues for defined issues and bugs.