[txmt-dev] Re: Main Window UI Concept

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Fri Aug 24 16:17:23 UTC 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 5:56 AM, Michael Sheets <mummer at whitefalls.org> wrote:

> I've posted the first of a few concept designs to the wiki for discussion and feedback:
>
> https://github.com/textmate/textmate/wiki/Main-Window

This looks nice, but not terribly different form what we already have.

What I'd rather see being thought about is how bundles and plugins could attach themselves to the main window.

I'd like bundles and plugins to be able to target where they want to display:

- bottom
- right side (!)
- separate window
- left side (!?)

WRT left side: I think the file browser should be assignable just like I want for bundles and plugins. I can even see cases where the file browser would be replaced by some other navigation means (for example Xcode project browser).

There also needs to be a more obvious way then just the little arrows to navigate between the output of the various bundles. The output areas may need their own tab system (though looking at other IDEs I think those waste a lot of space and are to heavy visual), or at least some kind of popup menu.

Examples for items targeting the right (or left) side are:

- Symbol List: yes I know we have the pop up at the bottom, but that just isn't doing it for me and apparently many others, hence the somewhat popular TmCodeBrowser in TM1.
- Recent positions stack: I would like to add functionality to TM2 where whenever the cursor is moved more than a few lines, or moved to a different file etc. TM2 remembers the previous location. Keyboard shortcuts would allow to jump back and forth in that list. An optional display would show the location with some rows of context. Right now I am (ab)using the Scratches bundle for breadcrumbs when I am trying to find my way around in alien code.

Both of these need vertical space more than horizontal space, which is true for a few bundles. Hence the need to target bottom or side for bundle output.

Anyway I think those issues are far more important than a cosmetic makeover of the main window.

A remark with regards to tabs: as they are now (keep changing position without rhyme or reason when new tabs are opened, file names not readable when more than a handful or files are open) tabs are mostly useless to me and mostly a waste of space. I think an 'open files' section in the file browser (similar to SCM status) would work better for me. Maybe even a split view: open files in the top, rest of the file browser in the bottom. I am sure folks are emotionally attached to their tabs, but for me this would be far more useable.

Also why can't we 'rip of' a tab to open a file in a separate window? I have yet to find an easy way to open a file from my project in a separate window. And I am not talking a split editor. I think split editors are useless, a waste of developer time. If you split vertical, you see to few rows. If you split horizontal, you'll need a really wide window. And that gets in the way of auxiliary output (terminal windows, the running app you are working on, documentation viewers etc).

Gerd