[txmt-dev] Re: building textmate on 10.6.8 ... only have clang 1.7/3.0 installed

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Sun Aug 12 22:35:45 UTC 2012

> > This isn't supported and you may need to change a few sources to build
>> correctly with the 10.6 SDK.
>

>I experimented on my first gen Macbook, which is 32 bit Snow Leopard only.
>
>Getting clang 3.2.1 built in macports took forever compared to an iMac running
>Lion, but did work. I left the build going when I went to sleep so I don't
>know how long it actually took. Once the pre-requisites were installed the
>only changes I had to do for building TextMate were
>
>1. In configure changed to min_os=10.6 and
>sdk="/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk"
>
>To try it out for now I edited the two lines in configure instead of seeing if
>I could have done it using arguments to the ./configure call
>
>2. Skip the codesign because the ad-hoc identity is not supported in the 10.6
>version of codesign. I edited bin/gen_build and turned the codesign command
>into echo codesign.

Thanks for the tips Sydney,

I installed the latest llvm and clang using brew (which took a while:

  brew install --HEAD --with-clang --use-llvm llvm

I checked out the commit just BEFORE this one by Gerd Knops a week ago which uses kCFURLVolumeIsLocalKey which is only available in 10.7:

  Rework path::is_local to support disk images.

  This enables SCM badges for disk images. The check is done
  using the new (10.7) kCFURLVolumeIsLocalKey.

  https://github.com/textmate/textmate/commit/8d523c0a6620

Made the changes to configure.

I had to define these exports:

  export CC=/usr/local/bin/clang
  export CCX=/usr/local/bin/clang

After that I was able to run ./configure and build and test with ninja.

----

Unfortunately for me it looks like dependencies on 10.7 are rapidly being introduced into the codebase ...

I'm sure there are probably many benefits to dropping support for 10.6.

Even though there might be a way in 10.6 to support SCM badges on local disk images without using kCFURLVolumeIsLocalKey ... when the codebase has dropped support for 10.6 there is no reason for developers to avoid using 10.7 features for functions thatcould be done using 10.6.

I also see this commit a day ago:

  Change deployment target of all xibs to OS X 10.7
  https://github.com/textmate/textmate/commit/ee11103d2d348