[SVN] Re: Align Source

Fri May 20 12:35:45 UTC 2011

Thanks for sharing.

I’ve been meaning to rework this command for quite some time, the basic algorithm I want to do is here: http://pastie.textmate.org/747958

The align function takes a regexp which must have two captures. It match each line against the regexp and then ensures that spacing is inserted after capture one so that capture two falls on the same column for each line.

In the example we first match up to comma followed by a space, aligns on that, and then matches up to the closing brace, and align on that.

The thing I haven’t written yet is a way to automatically figure out the regexp from the user’s code. I think this would be possible with some heuristic which finds the first candidate character which exist for each non-empty line, and which isn’t already aligned. One could perhaps cycle through candidate matches on successive runs.

I’ve never gotten around to trying implementing such heuristic though.