[SVN] Re: Proposal for common snippet trigger naming

Fri Feb 11 13:11:26 UTC 2011

On 7 Feb 2011, at 19:17, Mads Hartmann Jensen wrote:

> So a function would be:
>
> Ruby: def⇥
> scala: def⇥
> Java: fun⇥
> C: fun⇥
>
> This ofc. means that to create a function you wont type the same characters in each bundle but at least you can 'guess' the keyword trigger on the fly.

This harmonization seems fine, and I think we pretty much have this already!?! One that stands out is m⇥ in Objective-C, and presently we don’t hvae a function snippet for C/C++.

> We can even make this backwards compatible by using the 'short-cut snippets' approach explained in the first mail:
>
> C++/Obj-C:  ‘cl⇥’     => 'class⇥' => class snippet code
> Ruby:            ‘cla⇥’  => 'class⇥' => class snippet code
> Python/PHP:                   'class⇥' => class snippet code

This will annoy a lot of people since class is pretty long and Ruby tries to consistently use 3 letter triggers. I don’t like the double trigger workaround to support the old triggers.

Using ‘cla⇥’ for class to me seems like the best harmonization attempt. The rule could be the 3 first letters of the entity being inserted, which also matches with fun⇥ and to some degree def⇥.