[SVN] Lighthouse setup for bundles?

Luke Daley ld at ldaley.com
Fri May 2 01:50:56 UTC 2008

On 02/05/2008, at 10:54 AM, Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient wrote:

>>> The Lighthouse[1] bug tracker just upgraded to 2.0 and is now
>>> free for open source projects.
>>>
>>> I'm planning on using it for all my projects soon, but wondered
>>> about how the project setup should be.
>>> Should we do a project for each bundle? Or a single large project
>>> that covers all bundles?
>>>
>>> If we have a single large project for everything you could use
>>> tags to define what bundle you're talking about. But will people
>>> actually use tags? And would they actually choose the right
>>> project in the first place?
>>>
>>> Obviously some bundles like Git and ROR2 bundles aren't very
>>> Macromates centric, so they would likely be their own separate
>>> project, probly on a completely different domain even.
>>>
>>> Let me know what you guys think. I'd like to get something up and
>>> running pretty soon.
>>
>> I have been speaking with Allan about an issue tracking solution.
>> I have applied for (on behalf of Macromates) Open Source licenses
>> for the following Atlassian products:
>>
>> FishEye <http://www.atlassian.com/software/fisheye/> : Repository
>> Introspection
>> Crucible <http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/> : Code Reviews
>> Jira <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/> : Issue Tracking
>>
>> Jira is really the meat here. It's quite an impressive tool. The
>> best feature being that it's workflow is extremely customisable
>> and I don't there is anything we wouldn't be able to get it to do
>> that we needed.
>>
>> The integration here is important to. For example, a user can
>> submit a patch into Crucible for review with a Jira ticket number.
>> The two are then instantly linked. If the review passes (with our
>> without modification), then the patch can be committed with the
>> ticket number.
>>
>> At this point, the ticket in Jira is linked against the original
>> review and all it's meta data (such as modifications and to and
>> fros between moderator and author) and the actual changeset in svn
>> (courtesy of fisheye). As far as seeing the rational behind a
>> change, it doesn't get much better than that.
>>
>> But, the real complication comes from TM not storing it's data in
>> the format that we actually work with it. I don't see how Infin
>> can be expected to review patches in xml plist format. I am
>> talking to Atlassian about the ability to process the source in
>> both fisheye and crucible to allow us to work with the ascii
>> format that we use, I am not that hopeful though.
>>
>> LD.
>
> That sounds extremely interesting, but I worry that it's overkill.
> I find that the simplicity of Lighthouse and GitHib, among others,
> tends to get people contributing that might otherwise never bother
> with it.
>
> Jira sounds extremely powerful and awesome, but since most bundles
> are so simple it might just be more trouble than it's worth.
>
> It's not like we're working on a massive Java app with a million
> [...]

I agree with all of that. One appealing quality of Jira is that it
can be cut back to bare essentials. I have no doubt we could
configure it to be extremely easy for end users to use, and it's
extensive API means we could have bug reporting from within TM, just
like Lighthouse.

If we can make it work, I think crucible is the real win here though.
It would basically formalise a lot of the existing processes that
Infin goes through with new stuff, but make it much more trackable.
And of course tieing in the problem (ticket) with the patch evolution
(crucible review) and the actual commit and being able to see all of
that from the ticket in Jira is pretty appealing to me at least.

But for sure, that could be overkill for most if we don't get it right.

LD.