[SVN] Best Practice for Bundle-Specific Preferences

Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient textmate at subtleGradient.com
Sat Jul 5 22:25:27 UTC 2008

Ahoy.
I've been working on Javascript Tools and a few other things.
And there seem to be a larger and larger amount of thing for which I'd
like to set config options and preferences.

EG: JSLint, YUI Compressor, etc...

Currently the jslint prefs are handled in a config file inside the
bundle.
There are other options which are set using environment variables.

I'm thinking we need some sort of global preference system that each
bundle can hook into to get/set preferences.
Maybe the bundle provides a list of potential keys along with their
potential values and then we use a single global GUI to set them all.

On a technical level, what should we use? Personally I'm all for using
the mac defaults system since that's built right into the global
system preferences and everything.

Is there perhaps something already done to use that?

Thanks.