[SVN] D2 popup Text Column

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Tue Apr 1 18:43:47 UTC 2008

On Mar 31, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient wrote:

> As I requested on IRC earlier…
>
> http://tripledoubleyou.subtlegradient.com/i/tm/
> TM_D2_popup_mocks2-8.png
>
> I'd like to add another column of arbitrary text to the D2 popup
> list like xcode has.
> It would be useful for showing what class that function or method
> should apply to and stuff like that.

Made some mockups of various forms of completion menus:

http://temp.whitefalls.org/completions_dark.png
http://temp.whitefalls.org/completions_bright.png

Tried to make them look good, but at the same time be highly familiar.
So basically they are regular contextual menus with a few changes.
Some notes:

* I've lined the completed text up with the items in the menu, the
objective being once you learn this is the case you can easily scan
down visually skipping the part already matched.
* When more characters are typed the menu stays put and the arrow
moves, should make it easier to read the menu without it jumping around.
* The icons are in the example are meaningless and unpolished, just a
placeholder. :)
* I got rid of the scrollbar when the list is too long, it just really
never looked good to me. Basically I'd think if you've still got a
scrollbar you need to keep typing anyway because scrolling down isn't
going to save any time and if your using it as a reference there isn't
really a difference. (Menus work with the scrollwheel and such too.)
* Unsure about which of the later two options (grouped/additional) I
like, can't think of enough use cases to really make an informed
decision so I mocked both up.
* The right arrow key could likely complete the text as far as
possible. (If all the options have the same root but it hasn't been
fully typed yet.)