[SVN] r7201 (ActionScript 3)

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu May 10 14:17:14 UTC 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Ale Muñoz wrote:

> On 10/05/2007, at 15:59, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> isn't actionscript an extension of javascript?
>

> Not really.
>
> ActionScript 1.0 was based in JavaScript and ECMAScript 3. AS 2.0
> was based on ECMAScript 4. None of them comply with the full spec.
>
> AS 3.0 is (as far as I know) fully compliant with ECMAScript 4.
>
> But none of them *are* JavaScript.
>
> I totally agree that some commands (mostly snippets and code
> writing stuff) could be shared, but I don't see the point of making
> AS use a source.js scope, really...
>
> Anyways, it's just MHO...

Perhaps we need a source.ecmascript scope then, that the others would
inherit from....

As an example of what I am thinking: Could a snippet for creating a
basic function definition be the same for javascript and
actionscript? If so, there is no reason to duplicate such a command.

Making the scope source.js does not mean that we must inherit the
entire javascript syntax coloring. In fact we don't need to inherit
any of it. The question is whether commands and snippets could
perhaps be shared between the two languages.
Or perhaps also some minimal part of a language grammar could be
formed, called ECMAScript or something, and then be inherited by both
javascript and actionscript.

But since I don't know any of the particulars of actionscript, I will
keep out of it from now on ;). Just wanted to make it clear that
using source.js as the first part of the scope name does not
necessarily commit you as much as one would at first think of.

> --
> Ale Muñoz
> http://sofanaranja.com
> http://bomberstudios.com