[SVN] BundleCasting Bundle Publish/Subscribe

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Sun Feb 18 08:27:24 UTC 2007

Ahoy TextMateys.

http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2007/02/16/javascript-tools/
> There is a need for better being able to share user bundles, for
> example by publishing them from within TextMate. Other users should
> then be able to subscribe to it just as easily as subscribing to an
> RSS feed.
Yeah!
I think we could combine a subversion repo with commit triggered xml
creation to make this work.
I already have all that setup for bundleforge right now.

We would probably want to make a custom sub-class of the normal RSS
or ATOM formats. To be able to set our own crazy keys.

I prefer the idea of commit hooking the generation of a static file
instead of letting the client svn log the server to check for updates.
No sense forcing the server to think that hard that often.

I think it's really important that anyone be able to easily setup
their own little bundlecast on any server with a standard format/
process.

Integration
The key to making that seemless would be to really integrate it into
TextMate and E and whatever other editors standardize on these formats.
Putting the updating mechanism into a command is crappy since you'd
have to manually trigger it yourself.
Ideally, you'd be able to check a box or something somewhere to tell
TextMate to check for bundle updates too. Maybe a per-bundle setting
or just a global setting for all "BundleCasted" bundles.

Then there'd have to be a way to flag something as a casted commit.
Just to decouple the svn commit / deploy process a bit.
Riding edge is hip and all, but it's just too dangerous to be the
only option.

bundleforge?
I'm kindof torn on what bundleforge should be exactly. I really want
anyone to be able to share bundles easily and the whole updating and
subscribing goodness, yay. But, I don't want to become the pastie of
bundles. I don't want bundleforge to be nothing but a mass of long
abandoned half-finished carp.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors