tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Fri Feb 16 04:59:17 UTC 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 4:56 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> Eventually I want 99% of the bundles disabled by default, and have
> the user start out by picking what he needs. Since there are >100
> bundles, there needs to be some organization.
>
> The categories I had in mind was:
>
> 1. Markup / Prose
> 2. Programming
> 3. Framework
> 4. Build System
> 5. SCM System
> 6. Utility / Other

It might be more interesting to use a list of tags instead of a single
category. You'd then be able to filter the list to a subset of bundles
using task-specific criteria. For example, you could enable all
bundles tagged with "Ruby on Rails" (Ruby, Rails, HTML), or all
bundles tagged with "Unix" (terminal, shell script, makefiles,...), or
"Coding Mac Applications" (Xcode, AppleScript, ObjC, C, C++,...).

Chris