[SVN] e editor compatibility

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Tue Aug 21 18:14:15 UTC 2007

Ahoy.
This is mostly for Allan, but is relevant for all bundle developers.

I've been talking to the e editor guys about compatibility and
bundleforge and merging bundle changes, etc...
We're going to be making bundleforge rely on Mercurial. 1 repo per
bundle.

What I was wondering was what we wanted to do on the "official"
textmate side of things.
Should the changes that are required to make the bundles work in e
editor but that's don't conflict with mac use be comitted to the
official textmate bundle repo?

Things like filename changes to make them compatible with windows and
stuff.
Anything that is only applicable to e editor or windows shouldn't be
in the textmate repo.

But as much as possible I'd like to keep the bundles in sync.

I'm probably going to be making all new changes to my bundles in
Mercural at bundleforge and then committing the changes to the
textmate repo too once they're good.

Until TM2 at least we should probly keep the textmate subversion repo
being the single source for bundle distribution. At least for the
bundles that ship with the app.

What about the support folder though? Some of the stuff in the support
folder will have to be different for each OS. There's no tm_dialog in
the e editor, but there is something that does most everything that
it's used for.

I'd also like to make whatever changes are necessary be as forward
compatible as possible. Eventually there will come along a Linux app
that supports the tmbundle formats and I'd hate to have to make any
significant changes to anything again once that happens.

I don't have a hard timeline on bundleforge et all yet. You should
hear something from me in the next month.

	thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — bundleForge