[SVN] r5386 (R)

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sat Oct 7 17:13:31 UTC 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 7:49 AM, hadley wickham wrote:
> Many functions will take a data frame as an argument, or you can use
> with as a local attach.

Sweet! I didn't know about "with". I think that would do just fine.
Though I must say that when working in console mode, attach and
detach are extremely convenient.

> Aggregation involves some reduction of the data - this is more like
> chopping or cutting (hence the name in R)

Are those  standard statistics terms? In that case,

>> > * the cumm snippet should probably be cum, so you can do cumsum and
>> > cumprod as well (not that it saves you much typing)
>>
>> As you can see, I am new to R, didn't even know about cumsum and
>> cumplot. Just adding functions as I encounter them. So keep your
>> corrections/additions/comments coming.
>
> I'd also suggest you think a bit about a framework for the type of
> snippets you are going to expose.  I'm pretty happy with just typing
> stuff in so I'm probably not the right person to ask about what should
> be in there, but it seems like there should be some pattern so you can
> guess what things are snippets and what are not.

I'm basically trying to make it so that someone not knowing the
command names in R, and the order and names of all the parameters,
but knowing what statistics they want to do, would be able to find
them in the snippet menu. That's the one side to it. The other is
simply saving typing time.

> (Also I noticed you have lines under polygonal lines - lines are
> not polygons!)

Well, "lines" creates a sequence of joined line segments. I would
call that a polygonal line (not a polygon, which would be a closed
such line).

> Hadley

Haris