[SVN] Re: r5926 (Prolog) (Michael Sheets) (Allan Odgaard)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Nov 5 12:56:32 UTC 2006

On 5. Nov 2006, at 13:14, Paulo Moura wrote:

>> And for good, reason, the commit message: “even though Prolog
>> files
>> ends with pl, this bundle does not declare that, so as to not claim
>> Perl files” :)
> You got it backwards. Is Perl that's claiming Prolog files. Prolog
> precedes Perl by 15 years.

In TextMate, regardless of which language used the extension first,
the most popular one will get the extension (in the language
grammar), so to have the least amount of users having to “fix it”,
and/or write and ask why their perl files open as prolog.

> [...] With TextMate supporting "firstLineMatch" keys in the syntax
> files, I assume that a better solution can be devised instead of
> perpetuating a bigotry?

The extension plays a less important role, when there is a first line
match, yes.

And this is just setting which language TextMate should by default
associate to files ending with pl, when these are not identified by
the first line -- a default which is very elusive, as the minute the
users “corrects” the language association, it will no longer be
used.