[SVN] Javascript Punctuation Scopes

thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Wed Aug 23 14:52:26 UTC 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 1:14 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 23/8/2006, at 7:02, Chris Thomas wrote:
>
>> [...] Note that the current top level string.* hierarchy should
>> probably be placed under the proposed datatype hierarchy:
>>
>> 	inline-data.string.(double-quoted|whatever)
>
> One slight inconvenience is that we may want to style data
> structures with a faint change in background color, and that should
> apply to all but strings -- where strings would have a changed
> foreground color.
>
> So if we group them, we will see scope selectors like: ‘data -
> data.string’. Though as string coloring is the dominant case, and
> can still use a simple scope selector, this might not be a real
> concern.

I'm all for using scopes to describe the languages as they are.
But i'm not feeling this data.string business.

String feels like it should be a root element.
Logically it might make a lot of sense to move it in under something
more broad.
But i can't conceive of an actual use for it.

When would i ever want to color all data a single color?
When would i ever want a snippet that only works in all of data,
including strings?
It just wouldn't ever get used like that, afaik. And would
unnecessarily complicate the user's experience.

However, the contents of arrays and objects and tables and all kinds
of other random data structures would certainly all be grouped
together in a theme all the time.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg