[SVN] Javascript Punctuation Scopes

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Wed Aug 23 05:02:29 UTC 2006

On Aug 22, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Mietek Bąk wrote:

> On 22/8/2006, at 21:16, David Powers wrote:
>
>> the verbosity is partially why I want a datatype scope.  That
>> said... how about:
>>
>> meta.data.(array|hash|record) - used only for in-code data
>> descriptions (literal arrays, etc)
>
> I believe "structure" would be a better name than "data".  "data"
> is too general; everything can be argued to be data, while
> "structure" implies that the block being scoped has some internal
> structure.

You can make that sort of argument for any single word, though. The
language is just not precise enough. I would argue, for example, that
an array is not a structure. To completely avoid ambiguity, you need
to use a phrase or invent your own terminology.

I think 'data' is actually appropriate historical usage for source
code, but I'd suggest 'inline'.

	meta.inline.(array|hash|record)
	meta.inline-data.(array|hash|record) ?
	meta.data.(array|hash|record)

or even remove 'meta':

	data.(array|hash|record)
	inline.(array|hash|record)
	inline-data.(array|hash|record)

Note that the current top level string.* hierarchy should probably be
placed under the proposed datatype hierarchy:

	inline-data.string.(double-quoted|whatever)

Chris