[SVN] Binding triggers to shift+XXX

cskiadas at uchicago.edu cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 21 14:32:08 UTC 2006

On Aug 21, 2006, at 6:26 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> I wholeheartedly agree. I too got caught with the
shift-space trigger,
> often just after I entered a capital letter and held the
shift too long.
> It took me a while to figure out which trigger was to blame.
>

> hadley wickham wrote:
> > This email is a plea not to bind triggers to shift alone -
it is too
> > easy to trigger, and very hard to figure out what's going on!
>
> I would say that the use of shift is not that bad, it's just the
> combination with the space key that is annoying.
> I think that triggers should not use space at all, because
there are
> already a lot of apps that use various modifier-keys with
space as shortcut.

I am afraid I am to blamefor this one. Its purpose was to
allow easier spacing of things in equations, but it doesn't
actually work all that well, and the key equivalent is really
bad. Though given what it is supposed to do, I can't really
think of many intuitive key equivalents. In my mind it is
related to space, so it has to be something combined with
space, and there are not many options.

Anyway, I'll remove the command, it wasn't really supposed to
go in there at all, and it really is more trouble than it's worth.

> Jeroen.

Charilaos Skiadas
Department of Mathematics
Hanover College