[SVN] Revision 1089 (markdown)

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at math.uchicago.edu
Fri May 27 14:45:18 UTC 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 8:59 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On May 27, 2005, at 7:06, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> Added commands for completing setext style headings. They work as tab
>> triggers to =,-.
>
> What are setext style headings?

One way for a heading is to do the following:

A heading, level 1
=============

A heading, level 2
-------------------------

I think they are the ones called setext, as opposed to headings like:

# heading, level 1 #
## heading, level 2 ##
###### heading, level 6 ######

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#header

I find the first method preferable. The number of =/- signs doesn't
have to be as much as the length of the previous line, but it
definitely looks better that way.
> The commands look rather puzzling. They use the documents second-last
> line to decide the width of the separator inserted, why is that?

So, my purpose was for the command to do the following: When the user
has typed:
A heading level 1
=

with the cursor right after the = sign, and presses tab, then the whole
line would be filled up to the same length as the previous line,
resulting in:

A heading level 1
============

When you mentioned second to last line, I realized I only tested it
when the previous line is the second-last line :-). I fixed it now to
look at the previous line.
I don't really know if there is a simpler way to accomplish this, but
that's the one I could come up with :-).
I did it because someone had mentioned it on the ML at some point, and
I wanted to see if I could do it, and putting a whole lot of equal
signs by hand is boring at best. I haven't been using Markdown for
long, so maybe it's not a very often used thing, in which case we
should remove them from the repository.

In general though, are there any things people would like to see/not
see in the markdown bundle? I feel in the mood to write some
commands/snippets, and as you can see, if I'm let completely loose I
might fill up the bundle with stuff that maybe only I use. :-)
Or I could try to restrain myself and stay clear of adding stuff to it.
:-)

Haris