[SVN] Revision 905 (SVK)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue May 17 17:30:27 UTC 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 3:38, Brad Miller wrote:

> what is the long term plan for the key situation in Tiger?

It has been fixed for b9, and I even managed to get the key codes
showing for all items, even when the key equivalent was already used
by a previous item (a Cocoa limitation).

> I still get strange key behavior more often than I would like.  For
> example I use ^-f to move forward and I've changed both Reformat
> Paragraph and Reformat Selection to ctrl-option-w  but there are
> still times when I press ctrl-f and find whatever I'm working on
> reformatted.   I've been trying to pin it down, but its really hard
> because as soon as I hit command-z to undo then ctrl-f works the
> way I want it to.

There seems to be a bug in the Carbon Menu Manager with regard to
eager caching of menu keys, I don't know if this is the problem -- it
would probably then happen only the first time you use ctrl-f.

> Also I've got my own command bound to ctrl-shift-g but TextMate
> insists on calling To Opposite Case (^g)

That's in Text -> Convert. But I think you'll find that b9 should
again let your custom bindings take precedence.

Chris: regarding “bugs”, it's just that the menu manager can eat key
events before they reach the window, though there is a bug depending
on which action methods the first responder implements, some keys are
hardwired to call action methods instead of keyDown: irregardless of
the key bindings plist (so it's not even the proper action method
which is called), and command-delete never seem to reach the
application), but after a few mails exchanged with Apple, it seemed
their policy was that any key event with either command or control as
modifier should not be expected to reach the application.

Interestingly their own default key bindings plist define keys which
are not available in Mail, TextEdit etc. but _are_ available in
Xcode. At least last I checked.