[SVN] Licensing for Bundles?

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Fri May 13 21:00:12 UTC 2005

On 13-05-2005 22:47, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> Another option is to put everything in the repository in the public
> domain, that means no-one has any copyright on the stuff AFAIK (but
> IANAL).

I followed the discussion with software patents, creative commons, etc. a
bit and as far as I understand it, anything you (general you here) write
automatically falls under your copyright.
I do not know whether you can actually let go of your copyright, or
transfer it to someone else. But AFAIK most open source licenses (even
GPL) keep the copyright with the author, but allow others to use it and
see it (or even demand certain actions of the user/distributor, like the
GPL).

> I'm also open to people adding stuff with their own copyright, as  long
> as they grant me/MacroMates the right to “copy, use, modify,  sell and
> distribute” the contributions. But the problem with  individual
> copyrights is that others may later make modifications to  a contribution.

I have no idea how large open source project handle copyrights actually,
you might have to look there for ideas.
I think this will mean that we as bundle developers have to transfer the
copyright to you. So you would have to add some sort of disclaimer to SVN
read/write access or something.

My 2 cents,
Jeroen.
--